South Salem Alumni
Student / Parent Handbook
Salem-Keizer Master Calendar
SSHS Master Calendar
A Brief History
SOUTH SALEM HIGH SCHOOL
THURSDAY, MARCH 5, 2015
• Congratulations to our Lady Saxon Basketball team for their win last night against Lake Oswego; on to 2nd Round State Playoffs on Saturday, March 7th @ South – 7:00pm.
• 2nd Round Boys State Bxb Playoffs Friday, March 6th vs. South Medford @ South Salem 7:00pm.
Reminder OSAA prices are in effect - $6.00 for Adults; $4:00 for students- NO ASB or passes accepted with the exception of the OSAA Gold card.
• JV Boys Basketball Awards TONIGHT @ 6:30pm in the Lower Commons.
• Our Saxon dance team has a competition at Sprague High School this Saturday starting at 11:30 and again at 3:30 and would love your support!
• OSAA Dairy Farmer results are out and congratulations go to our BOYS SWIM team who placed 7th for 6-A schools for academics.
• After school tutoring is available in the library from 2:30-4:00pm each day. Bus passes are available. The next Saturday Session will be March 14th.
• Students: lost and found clothing and misc. items will be emptied from the area and on display in the Upper Commons for you to reclaim your lost articles from Monday, March 9th through Thursday, March 12th. Any remaining clothing or items will then be donated.
• South Drama presents the “Twelfth Night”! The performances are March 6th, 7th 13th and 14th @ 7pm. There is also one at 2pm on Saturday, the 14th. Adults $7, students and senior citizens are $5 and card carrying Thespians get in Free! Come and join us for a timeless, colorful, adventure that will leave you on the end of your sword.
• The South High Gay Straight Alliance would like to invite you to The Art of Equality. This event will be held on Saturday, March 7th from 6-8pm at the First Congregational Church on Marion St. It is the main fundraiser for GSA. The first hour is a silent auction/social hour where snacks will be provided. At this time there will be an Art auction, following the auction will be an hour long talent show showcasing performers from both South Salem and the Salem Community. If you have any art that you would like to donate, please come to the Main office for the email addresses.
• SENIORS with a GPA of at least 3.5 – if you’re interested in getting up to two free years of tuition at Chemeketa Community College, THIS IS THE WEEK TO APPLY! Take your completed application, transcript, and qualifying placement test scores to Chemeketa in person any day this week before 5:00. If you have not yet taken your placement tests, you need to arrive @ Chemeketa no later than 3pm TODAY or Thursday. There is NO TESTING on Friday, although you can submit your completed application up until 5pm that day. Any questions drop by the ASPIRE Center Rm 234.
• The deadline for signups for NAACP Youth Conference will be Wednesday, March 11th. Please see Ms. Dunn for permission slips. There are 8 spots remaining for the event.
• Senior students of color: Friday, March 13th is the deadline to apply for the local NAACP scholarship. Applications are available in the ASPIRE Center in Rm 234. You MUST have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00 to be considered.
• Oregon Tech will be visiting next Monday during 3rd period. Be sure to sign up outside Rm 234 for their presentation on a variety of technical programs including computer science, engineering, medical imaging and more!
Also, if you’re interested in learning about what it takes to become a law enforcement or corrections officer, sign up outside Rm 234 for next Thursday’s presentation by Chemeketa Community College. The ASPIRE Center encourages you to start thinking about your future today!
• The Annual 1000 Soles Shoe Battle runs from March 2nd -18th and is a competition in which high school and middle schools in Salem Keizer compete for the most shoe and money donations. This year, South has also challenged Sprague to a Lace Race and are competing against them to collect the most shoe laces. If you have any new or almost new shoes or laces you would like to donate, see your 3rd period teacher or Mrs. Gunter in Rm 244.
• SENIOR t-shirt fundraiser for the senior party – t-shirts will be sold starting Monday during lunch in the Upper commons- $10.00. Come check them out.
• REMINDER – there is NO SCHOOL for students TOMORROW due to grading day.
HAPPY BIRTHDAYS TO: London Barajas – Gabriel Gilmour – Juan Hernandez Cervantes – Aaron Merryman -Alexandria Welch
|South Salem High School is a community of learners who value
integrity; high academic standards; respect for self and
others; and positive involvement in school, community and world.